27 June 2009

For Insufferable Clods Who Hijack Conversations with Their Political Potherings

(Or Who Visit Our Blog Shocked There Has Been Not a Single Word Mentioned About Iran), some sage advice from our local patrician:
Once one begins messing about with blogs, it takes approximately thirty seconds to discover the only two topics anyone is interested in, politics and sex. (Sadly in that order) This I do not understand, I mean heaving bosoms are enticing and granted there is some biological evidence for this, but politics…And the worst part is that most of those that spew (around 99.9%) have not one intelligent thing to say on the matter. Why argue about politics? I mean, my old Gram still tries to argue with me about the Abdication Crisis, but I will have none of it. I do not care that Mrs. Simpson was a tart. There are other things with which one can take up their day (such as heaving bosoms). It is not as if anything you say will matter in the least…It is wasted effort and what’s worse, you might spoil a trowser crease [or, in our case, a skirt pleat] in the process. And unless you are unfortunate enough to have been elected to public office (and dumb enough to have accepted) are a member of a royal family, or, are being paid to talk, then why? Oh yes, ‘I want to share my asinine political opinions with all and sundry and then conduct a nasty commentkrieg with those who disagree’, and they all will. Not only will they smite your opinions hip and thigh, they will also go after your spelling, grammar, syntax, clothing, haircut, dog, cat, etc. etc...
Aptly put, Sir Basil. (Thanks for resurrecting the quote, Mrs. P.)

(And, since you mentioned it, aren't those yowling now over Ahmadinajad the very same lot who cheered him on when he spoke at Columbia?)