03 October 2011

Pope Reveals Why He'll Attend Assisi

In a letter written to a Lutheran minister who had expressed concerns over the upcoming Assisi gathering, the Holy Father offered this response:
I understand quite well your concern regarding the participation at the Assisi meeting. However, this commemoration would have to have been celebrated in some way and, all things considered, it seemed to me that the best thing would be for me to personally go there being thus able to determine the direction of it all. I will nevertheless do everything in order that a syncretistic or relativistic interpretation of the event will be impossible and so that what will remain is that I will always believe and confess that which I had called to the attention of the Church with [the Declaration] 'Dominus Iesus'.
(emphasis added)