Abbaye Saint-Joseph de Clairval
The Abbey and surrounding village
About sixty kilometers north of Dijon city center sits the Benedictine Abbey of St. Joseph of Clairval in Flavigny. It is a traditional community celebrating Mass according to the 1962 rite. The monastery was founded in 1976, although the village had had a Benedictine Abbey since the 7th century, up until it was closed during the Revolution.
Sint Unum: Coat of Arms of the Founding Abbot
In 1700, the Marquis de Souhey built a chateau in Flavigny, with extensive grounds and a terraced garden. After his death, the home went to various owners, until 1829, when it was bought by Ursulines, who added various wings to the chateau. in 1906, France issued a decree of expulsion, driving out all religious orders. It afterwards became the seat of the minor diocesan seminary. It was during World War II that the last of the construction was completed. The current community moved in in 1976, and proceeded to renovate the grounds, including the conventual church, finished and solemnly blessed in 1979.
The community received canonical recognition as a Benedictine monastery of diocesan right in 1988. The monastery was raised to the rank of abbey in 1992 at the request of the Holy See. The current community numbers around fifty members.
Blessed Charles de Foucauld
Inner Courtyard in Snow
Entry to the Sanctuary, with St. Joseph standing sentinel
Crux sacra sit mihi lux! Nunquam draco sit mihi dux!
Twelfth Station of the Via Dolorosa
Close-up of Stall
Our Lady of the Sacred Heart
St. Joseph Oratory
Staircase to the Tribune
St. Angela Chapel
St. Augustine, in the St. Angela Chapel
The Virgin's Garden
Eighteenth Century Terraces and Vegetable Garden
The Hedge at Dawn
Hedge Cross in Winter